Olive Music

September 11, 2011

So maybe I’m a little critical…

Filed under: music —— oliviaacevedo @ 4:16 am
          Hi, I’m Olive. I’m probably one of the most dramatic people you’ll ever meet and I’m in love with all things music and theatre related. I wouldn’t exactly call myself a musician, I know I’m not the best at what I do but I like to think I know the difference between good and bad music. I know, I know to each his own and all that. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not quick to judge and I’m extremely open minded musically but the truth is, the majority of music our generation listens to is absolute trash. Some might say I’m a snob but I think I’m just highly opinionated. At some point raw talent mattered less and less and it all became a popularity contest. The amount of talented artists who don’t make it in the music business is completely unfair.
          Aside from talent, in a lot of cases (hip-hop specifically) we’ve lost even the substance of music lyrically. To quote one of my favorite hip-hop artists A Tribe Called Quest, “If only you can see through your elaborate eyes, only you and me hun, the love never dies” and to quote Lil’ Wayne, “I hit the strip club and all them b*tches find the pole” um… what? -_- Now I’m not going to lie to you, of course I listen to the music I’m talking about; I’ve learned to appreciate music solely for beats at this point. What I’m saying is if these sick beats were accompanied by equally sick lyrics the music would be a lot more aesthetically pleasing. Like The Weeknd for example, a relatively new hip-hop/R&B artist I’m not sure a lot of people have heard about. I’m currently playing his song “The Birds” on repeat <3
          So that’s not to say all of this generation’s music is terrible. Two of my top five favorite artists started out their careers in this generation, Amy Winehouse (R.I.P) brought back the jazz tones we were so close to losing and Adele is blessing us all with her incredible voice. So who’s to say pure talent doesn’t count anymore? The point is artists who are less appealing and controversial to the media aren’t getting the credit they really deserve. If you’re not making a spectacle of yourself like Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry and Lady GaGa (all of whom I’m actually a fan of) you’re not getting as far. So yes, the less popular will have to work a little harder but I think its 100% worth it. Good music is what gets me through life, I don’t know what I’d do if it died out.
          On a closing note, if you’re interested in good hip-hop, give my friend NyboЯ a listen [[www.NyborStuj.tumblr.com]]. I’m featured on a song or two so you’ll get to hear my talents as well. Hope you like it 🙂

3 Responses to “So maybe I’m a little critical…”

1.   jenny abeles Says:

Hi Olive! I really like the way you introduce yourself here, opinionated, dramatic music-lover–sounds like a person capable of some interesting writing! I also like how you’ve begun to delineate music you appreciate and the reasons why. In developing this blog further, this would be a great place to start. What reasons do you see for so many musicians of awesome talent not being heard and known? Here you seem to blame a generation of listeners, but how can they find these less accessible musicians? Where do they play? Where is their music being produced? I would love it if you found a way to provide links or mp3’s so your readers can actually hear the music you are advocating for, starting with your friend so we can hear *you*!

Also, in your paragraph about hip hop, you give a couple lines from different artists illustrative of different attitudes about love, relationships, and/or women. You’ve ranged into political territory without really spelling out your political commitments. That can be fine, but you *did* go there. Why are A Tribe Called Quests’s lyrics more sick (sicker?). Explain to us what makes a good lyricist in your view. How political is music, do you think, and how might politics play a part in who gets signed, cut, and heard and who doesn’t? I’m curious about what you think.

One last thing: who is your generation? Can you define this generation? Every generation needs a voice, and musical voices tend to be very intimately connected to how a generation sees itself, feels about itself, and projects itself into the world.

You’ve got my attention!

2.   samantha Says:

How did you get the ‘R’ to go backwards in NyboЯ?? haha

I’m not into rap music, although I do appreciate 90’s R&B and can never get enough of Will Smith’s music. I also really enjoyed the era of Bone Thugs n Harmony–The song ‘Crossroads’ was nicely done. Eminem was also popular in the 90’s. His stuff was pretty cool. Nothing now is like it was. Being a poet myself, I can appreciate rhymes but I don’t feel like some rap artists out there have any respect or decency in what they write. They don’t write about feelings or anything with depth. They write about money, hoes and bitches.

I agree with you that music nowadays is terrible. I am NOT into the music scene today. I listen to 80-90’s rock mostly but I can’t help being intrigued by musicians like Gaga. She was obviously 80’s inspired but I feel like she makes a spectacle of herself which takes away from her real talents. Musicians can’t just be musicians anymore. Everyone’s got to prove something. And to me, they all fall into the same category: Ridiculous.

3.   oliviaacevedo Says:

I’m so glad you agree, sometimes I feel like people our age are completely lost musically haha. Hopefully my blog can lead you in the direction of some music of this decade that isn’t completely hopeless, thats kind of what I’m trying to do with this blog. Oh and the backwards R, I just went on google and typed in “backwards R” lol 🙂